Beech Mountain Club History
Originally the Beech Mountain Property Owners Association, created by Carolina Caribbean Corporation “to promote the health, safety and welfare of property owners”, the POA reorganized as the Beech Mountain Club in 1981 to provide ongoing management of the recreational facilities after the Town of Beech Mountain was incorporated earlier that year. Members of the Beech Mountain Club paid off a debt of $400,000, shortly after the reorganization, to complete the purchase of the golf course property from North Carolina National Bank who was the trustee in the bankruptcy of Carolina Caribbean Corporation.
By 1985, the Beech Mountain Club through its members had invested in repairing the golf course irrigation system and the pool, expanded the tennis complex and grown the membership to approximately 1700. By the end of the 20th century, the Beech Mountain Club built a new Clubhouse, Fairway Café, Day Camp, Outdoor Pavilion, expanded the Alpen Haus (member ski lodge) and expanded the Tennis complex to a total of 10 courts converting most of these to composition clay.
During the first decade of the 21st century, Beech Mountain Club added a Fitness Center, new Tennis Shop, relocated Administration, expanded and renovated the Recreation offices and meeting space, completed the lower level (basement) of the new Clubhouse, renovated the Golf Shop and constructed a new Pool. In addition the Club renovated the Golf Course by replacing the irrigation system, expanding the tee complexes, lengthening the Golf Course, rebuilt two greens and the putting green, and added a Golf Practice Facility complete with grass and artificial tees, short-game and bunkers. A new Cart Barn was the last facility added permitting the Club to operate an electric fleet of golf carts.
Excerpts of this narrative from “Images of America, Beech Mountain” written by The Beech Mountain Historical Society, Ann Iles, Editor. Copyright 2009 with copies available at www.arcadiapublishing.com.